The Yankees are already a game into their 2021 spring training schedule. They went through the first game without an injury to speak of, which means it’s a grand success thus far. That’s going to be the big question for this team all season. Can they stay healthy? They brought a couple of starting pitchers in coming off injuries and have a few returning from injuries. Do they have enough to compete for a championship?
To address that and the offseason as a whole, we are back with Season 2 of the “Pinstripe Pod” with Chris Shearn and four-time Yankees World Series champion Jeff Nelson. The guys were joined in the first episode back by longtime Yankees radio voice Suzyn Waldman.
Pinstripe Pod with Chris and Nellie:
- Glad to see baseball back. Happy to see Aaron Judge not dive for a ball Sunday and risk injury. Little surprised to see starters in so early in spring training.
- Domingo German situation. Nellie says he would have liked to have seen him released. Will he be a distraction to the team?
- Starting rotation question marks. Corey Kluber and Jameson Taillon coming back from injuries. Luis Severino back at some point from Tommy John Surgery. On paper you love rotation, but health is paramount.
- Offseason moves: adding Darren O’Day and Justin Wilson to the bullpen. Bringing back Brett Gardner and DJ LeMahieu. Did they do enough?
- Yankees are the clear-cut AL East favorites. Could be weakest division in MLB.
Suzyn Waldman Interview:
WFAN Yankees radio voice (17 years)
- Hard last year making games exciting without fans. Calling spring training games from different locations. How things are so different.
- Reaction to the Blue Jays using TV feed for radio. “It’s a disgrace.”
- Accomplishments in her career. Still a lot to do moving forward.
- Reconnecting Yogi Berra and George Steinbrenner and the story behind it.
- Thoughts on this team and a lot of ifs. Gary Sanchez needs to be better.
- Favorite John Sterling radio calls.
- Fans being back at the stadium and fans sometimes overreacting during spring training games.
Catch up on all episodes of “Pinstripe Pod,” a New York Yankees podcast, by subscribing to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. New episodes drop every Monday during spring training and Mondays and Thursdays when the season begins.