Yankees fans know what the biggest concerns are going into the 2021 season. They’re the question marks in the starting rotation and injuries. The Yankees have had injury problems the past few years that have truly plagued them. They are trying to avoid that this year, but starters coming back from injuries will have fans a little bit worried. They have already lost a key bullpen piece until May in Zack Britton.
To talk about injuries, spring training and who the fifth starter could end up being, we bring you a new episode of the “Pinstripe Pod” with Chris Shearn and Yankees great Jeff Nelson, featuring an interview with Jimmy O’Brien, more commonly known as “Jomboy.”
Pinstripe Pod with Shearnie & Nellie:
- Nellie called Sunday’s Yankees game on WFAN. He gives his rendition of a John Sterling-esque home run call for Brett Gardner. Felt nice to be in a stadium with fans and seeing baseball live in person.
- The fifth starter spot is up for grabs. Will Deivi Garcia get it? Do Yankees give multiple guys spot starts? What will Domingo German’s role be? If German struggles, he will hear it from the fans.
- Big season ahead for Gary Sanchez. Yankees in a bit of trouble to start season at backup catcher with Robinson Chirinos hurt.
- Aaron Boone is feeling awesome after getting a pacemaker.
Q & J Segment: Shearn and I pose questions to Jeff Nelson on his career. Nellie responds to questions on going out after games with teammates, what made Mariano Rivera so great, pushing each other in the bullpen and the timeline of the ending of Nellie’s MLB career.
Jimmy O’Brien aka “Jomboy” Interview:
Co-Host of “Talkin’ Yanks” Podcast, “Talkin’ Baseball” Podcast
- Concerns with the Yankees? Starting pitching and injuries.
- Yankees fans live in this state of injuries.
- Bullpen usage and the formula for playoff pitching.
- Is 2021 championship-or-bust for the Yankees?
- The growth of Jomboy Media and how it all happened.
- Getting $1 million in funding and truly making it a business.
Catch up on all episodes of “Pinstripe Pod,” a New York Yankees podcast, by subscribing to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. New episodes drop every Monday during spring training and Mondays and Thursdays when the season begins.